February 11, 2008

Dedication & why this blog exists

My Grandma, Connie Wisely, is the reason I became interested in blackwork, and to whom this blog is dedicated.

Absolutely no thanks goes to Mrs Scott, my Grandma's primary school teacher in 1920s rural Aberdeenshire who taught her sewing: "'We had sewing lessons which I loathed. Once we made lap bags (for holding knitting etc.) On the front we had to embroider three soldierly crocuses in bright purple. By the time mine was finished it was filthy. My efforts made my hands sweaty and the needle squeaked through the tough calico. Mrs Scott sighed and I always remember her comment: 'Poor child, you'll maybe be some use with your head, but certainly not with your hands.'" - this exerpt is from Connie's written memoirs, she attended primary school a short distance from Craigievar Castle.

This picture is a blackwork portrail of Craigievar castle by the 'poor child' who became a prolific needleworker.

It wasn't until after my Grandma died that we discovered her blackwork. She was a late convert, and there weren't many blackwork pieces, some unfinished.

I was aware of her needlework all through my childhood, but none of it spoke to me quite like her blackwork. I thought it was textile photography; skillfully using pattern to create light and dark, and ultimately form.

What I've also realised is that blackwork, for me, is also about the people I create something for, or the situation I was in at the time. I didn't know my Grandma as well as I could have, and I've realised that behind a lot of her work there would have been stories and experiences, like that behind the 'soldierly crocuses' and I'm sure, Craigievar Castle.

So as a tribute to her, I wanted to chronicle or share my own stories behind my sewing, the people, experiences and places that helped produce it.

It's a blog, a portfolio, a diary and hopefully a story, and I have no idea where it'll end up......
Posted by Picasa

No comments: