March 29, 2008

Parental love and the sewing frame

When I started doing blackwork in Thailand I didn't use a frame, but when I got to New Zealand it was the first thing I bought - a plastic hoop frame. But I saw a photo of Lesley Wilkins' lap frame.... internet searches ensued, but despite needlework being probably one of the most popular crafty pursuits, there is a real lack of wee designed frames.

Enter my Mum. After explaining to her my dilemma, Mum spotted an advert for a sewing lap frame with a beanie tray (another one of my favourite things!) as a base. My Mum has an uncanny knack of spotting useful things advertised in catalogues, and as a fellow craftsperson she fully understood the value of good equipment.

The hoops fix onto the frame by way of a doweling piece, and my Dad carefully measured these, traced the circumference of other hoops, and came up with some more - so now I have a complete set which fixes on. Not only that but he sent me clamps, a tiny drill bit and some screws all the way to New Zealand so I could repair some which came apart.

So this laptray, along with a zillion other things they do for me and have done, is a great little symbol for me of their love.

On the Blackwork yahoo forum (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Blackwork) recently there has been a discussion about good frame designs. Below is a demonstration of my beanie tray frame.

1 comment:

Rebecca Brackmann said...

Cool frame! I'm nowhere near good enough to need one of those. . . .

Blackwork Yahoo forum? [ears perk up} Really?